by the Seed SistAs
Earth Clarity Elderflower and Plantain Cordial Recipe
Makes about two litres of delicious cordial
- 23 Elderflower heads
- 2 handfuls of fresh healthy Plantain leaves
- Finely grated zest of 3 organic lemons and 1 orange
- Juice of 3 lemons and 1 orange
- 1kg / 4 cups organic fairtrade brown sugar
- 1.5 Litres Boiling water
1. Pick the Elderflowers and Plantain leaves on a sunny dry day. Leave them outside for a while so that any tiny bugs hiding in the blossoms or leaves have a chance to make their escape. We place them on a sheet of newspaper.
2. Zest the 3 lemons and 1 orange and place the zest in a bowl. Put the fruit in the fridge as it will be 24hrs before you come back to using them.
3. Next pull the white flowers off the green flower stalks/umbels and put them in the bowl with the zest and plantain leaves. Remove as much of the green stalks off the Elder as possible.
4. Pour the boiling water over the flowers, leaves and zest and let it infuse overnight.
5. Next, strain the infusion, separating the liquid from the elderflower and zest. Place the infusion liquid in a large saucepan along with the juice from the 3 lemons and orange, zested the day before. Warm the infusion then add the sugar and stir until it’s completely dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil before lowering the heat and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
6. Using a funnel, pour the cordial into sterilised bottles and seal. Once cooled, the cordial can be used right away. Unopened, the bottles of cordial have a shelf life of about a year.